Sunday, March 29, 2009

Mattimillinery Gypsy Costume

Hmmm. So next we have this Gypsy costume from Ebay seller mattimillinery, as you can see in the pictures below. The outfit came in 3 parts- the dark green vest, the cream under-dress and the red over-skirt. It looks pretty fantastic on Mary with her dark reddish-brown locks.

When looking at it, I do see a gypsy. But I also see a work outfit from the early American period. Actually, I specifically associate it with outfits worn at Plimouth Plantation or Old Sturbridge Village. I have been to both places for school field trips.

Hence, we have given this old-fashioned outfit to Mary Royall so she can go play with the horses in the Royall family stables without getting her nicer frocks dirty. I sort of imagine it as a dress her mother used to play in as a girl and it was handed down to Mary.

I'm sure all those historians out there would argue with my loose interpretation of fashion- but let's just use our imagination...



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...