Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Final Round Photos!

Whattup peoples!

How's life?

Today we have the six photos and descriptions for the Final Round of our 2012 Grand Photo Contest.

Penny is going to peruse them carefully and determine who will win the doll, probably by the end of the week.

The First Prize Winner gets a brand-new doll, and the five other winners will receive $20 AG gift cards.

There won't be any voting this time. But if you are in the Final Round, feel free to tell your families and friends - let people know you are in the Final Round. You should be proud!

Thank you for participating in this contest everyone!

We appreciate it!

So here are the photos in no particular order...

Photo Number One

This is a photo collage of Nora (#55) and Hodel (Jess) who went on a 1930s photoshoot for me after learning about the depression in school. We live in Cincinnati and took this opportunity to read the Kit books for the first time. They took the time to research different aspects of the time, including hobo signs, featured on the bottom left (they learned that this particular one means "kind lady", and was written to let anyone passing by know that it was a safe house.). On our adventure we took frequent hiking breaks to explore the nature around us. At the end of the day, Hodel and Nora discovered that there is nothing better then spending a day with a good friend.




Photo Number Two



For the Final Round, I decided to go back in time to the days of jukeboxes, soda fountains, and drive-in theaters: the glorious, glamorous 1950s! This is probably my favorite era of history and fashion, except for the late 1800s Victorian era.  I have done my research, and tried my best to make this as historically accurate as possible (yes, I know that the dress Nellie is wearing is 1940s style, but it's a hand-me-down from her older sister). I hand-made Emily's dress from a vintage Simplicity pattern labeled 1952, which I was thrilled to find on sale at my local Joanns!

Here's the story/caption:

Nellie and Emily are at Woolworth's 5 & Dime in their hometown of Dallas, Texas. They came here after school and ordered an ice cream sundae to share. The soda jerk (the name for a guy who worked in a soda fountain), Peter, has walked over to help some other customers, so while he is out of earshot, they gossip about how cute he looks in his apron and hat! Emily has had a crush on him for ever so long. 


Photo Number Three


Friends are there in sunshine and rain.

Joy (#23) and Ellie (#41) have been friends for a long time now, and they are always there for each other in good times (sunshine) and bad (rain).  In the photo Ellie is helping Joy out by handing her the umbrella to keep from getting wet.





Photo Number Four


Jensen and Indie are practicing for their upcoming performance. They have been working on an Aerial Dance duet and plan on debuting their routine at the local talent show. It takes a lot of time, practice, and patience to be able to perform tricks on the fabric like Jensen. Indie is waiting patiently for her turn on the fabric. 




Photo Number Five


For the Final Round, I wanted to challenge myself to turn trash into treasure. That is, I wanted to turn an item that is usually thrown away into a work of art.  I also wanted to take a photo that had a historical theme. I have always had an interest in studying kings and queens, and Marie Antoinette (wife of France's Louis XVI) was the first real royal that piqued my interest. 


After careful consideration, I decided that Kit would be the lucky one to become the famous royal. After dressing her in an appropriate gown, I set about creating Marie Antoinette's signature bouffant (wig). Using Samantha's furry winter hat as the bottom layer of the bouffant, I layered yet another hat on top of that one. To create the curls, I decided to take styrofoam packing peanuts (which otherwise would be thrown away), cut them down to size, and tape them onto the hats using clear duct tape. After I'd covered every inch, I added the finishing touch - two pretty pink hair ribbons! 


I also created Marie Antoinette's world as best as I could, setting up my fanciest doll-sized accessories and furniture. On the right side of the photo, you'll see a cake set up, which is a tribute to the famous saying, "Let them eat cake!" of which Marie Antoinette is often associated with. 




Photo Number Six



My theme for this final round is "I Love Camping" because two years ago my family purchased a camper and it has become my favorite thing to do.  I always take all of my dolls with me because they love going camping too!  Let's listen in...
"Hi Sarah!  I'm back from my hike through the woods.  What a gorgeous day it is!  I saw lots of neat animals and really interesting plants."  
Just then, Hope notices the marshmallow that Sarah is toasting.  "Oh, are you making smores?" she asks.  
"Yes, Hope, I have already made two for you because I just knew you were going to be mighty hungry when you got back!  They are right over there on the log - fresh off the campfire."  
"Hey Cindy, do you want me to make you a couple smores too?" Sarah asks.  
Cindy is very tempted by Sarah's offer because fresh smores are her absolute favorite campfire food but she resists the temptation, replying; "No thanks, Sarah, I'm saving room for this homemade peanut butter ice cream that I am making...it is going to be so yummy!"  
Cindy glances over towards Christina, the artist in the group, and is amazed by the life-like painting she is working on.  "Hey, Christina, your painting of the squirrel looks so awesome!  I wish I could draw like you!"  
"Awww, thanks Cindy.  You're so sweet to say that!  I love painting all the cute little animals I see when we go camping together."  
Meanwhile, Faith and Lanie are sitting at the picnic table having lunch and planning their next camping trip.  
"Oh yes, I love camping too, Christina!" adds Faith.  "Speaking of camping together...Lanie, look here, maybe we could all go camping at Natural Bridge, Virginia next month?  I've heard it's a really cool natural wonder!  Here it is on the map, see?"  
"Oh, I see it!" exclaims Lanie.  "That's not too far away at all."  Lanie is quiet for a moment, then adds; "You guys know what?  I really enjoy spending camping time with all of you.  I mean, I love being able to text and email you all, but spending this kind of time together is way more fun!"  
Everyone agrees!!


Thanks for visiting us today!


5 comments:

Clickorice said...

I have a question! Is there anyway that you could share the blogs of the entrants in the contest? I really love a lot of the photowork and I always want to know what else the contestants do in the dolly community. (or maybe I'm missing something...)

Nora and Maple said...

Sure!

We'll ask the 6 winners and we'll ask people on Facebook and here to share their links to blogs, etc.

Stay tuned for more info!

Bee said...

I love the use of the packing peanuts. Very clever and original!

Kellee said...

Those are all so wonderful! Congrats everyone, for making it to the final round!! :)

Hannah Prewett (beastsbelle) said...

What great photos! :) My favorite is #6.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...