Friday, August 28, 2009

Doll Closet Kokeshi Skirt

The last Doll Closet skirt which we will show you (for this month at least.... heehee) was titled "Yui Kokeshi Aline Skirt."

What do these words mean? The name refers to the type of fabric used- Alexander Henry Pink Yui Kokeshi printed fabric. Yes, the background color is pink. Penny looked past this issue because Stella wanted it for her wardrobe so badly. :)

What are kokeshi? Japanese wooden dolls with a long historical tradition. Penny has actually bought a couple modern kokeshi dolls known as Momiji message dolls. Click here to check them out for yourself.

We are going to blatantly steal a picture to show in this post because they are too cute not to share with a pic- This fellow's name is Donut!

We're pretty sure our above link is a British online shop....and we don't know if they ship to the USA. So we are looking into if there are USA dealers. Penny happened to pick up some of these Momiji in Washington D.C. at the Smithsonian gift shop.... and they seem to be available from some Museum online stores, such as the Philadelphia Museum of Art.... Click here to see their Momiji.

And before I completely forget the point of what I am doing...Stella is modeling the white Doll Closet shirt with the Yui Kokeshi skirt in the photos below. Those little cartoon faces are so wonderful and the main fabric looks great paired with the black and white accent fabric around the bottom edge. Such a fun skirt!

If you'd like to check out the Etsy shop of Doll Closet please click here.

We've decided Saturdays will be our "Outfit of the Week" day... so look for that tomorrow at some point and on Monday we'll post the...uh...... (looks through a giant file of photos...)... We'll post about a new dress from The Dollies' Dressmaker! Yay!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful skirt! I 'collect' momiji dolls, I have 5 and a cup and some badges :) Here (England) you can find them in Borders but I don't know about the USA.
Anyways--very cute skirt! After I persuaded my parents that doll couture is a good investment I will allow myself to look at the Doll Closet website :)
~Libby

Avery Voisin said...

Those momiji dolls are pretty neat! Thanks for the links.
That skirt is adorable, I love the print! :)

Mrs.C. said...

I wasn't too sure about the fabric print when I looked at the dolls but then scrolled down... and I love the skirt. It's original and fresh. I'm sure it could be worn with many different colored tops and still be just as sparkling.

Thanks for sharing.
^j^Mrs.C.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...