Saturday, August 27, 2011

Maple's Pirate Treasure Hunt!
Part Five

We don't often talk about the 'real world.' Mostly because this is meant to be an escapist blog (if you haven't caught on to that by now, haha). But we just wanted to say that we hope everyone who lives in the path of Hurricane Irene is safe-- you, your family, your friends, and your pets. We have you in our hearts and thoughts this weekend. Be safe!


Okay, back to our 'dolly reality'... haha. Hurricanes are too scary to discuss for long periods of time... it's better to talk about fake scary stuff... heehee.

Welcome to Part Five of Maple's Pirate Treasure Hunt! 

Maple and I went back home with our shattered magnifying glass. Sure enough Penny said she'd get us another one. She also asked us about our next hint.

"Oh, Maple clumsily tripped and we forgot to look at it!" I said smiling. Maple shot me a look.

We unrolled the hint to find a drawing of a flower. That was it. Just a flower. No hint.

"Holy cow! You got the wrong thing!!" Maple gurgled and then threw herself on the couch.

"I didn't get the wrong thing. It was the only hint at the top of the Tower!" I responded.

Penny smiled at us. Oh great, another person who knows more than we do.

"It's invisible ink," she commented while pointing at the paper. "Under the flower is probably a message."

"Well how do we see it?' I asked.

She picked up the hint and smelled it. She is a weird woman.

"Lemons. It's written in lemon juice so you heat it up. Let's go get the iron," she said.

So we ironed the hint until a message started to appear. It read:

What was not there
Can now be seen
From cool to hot
From light to dark

Start at the heart
Travel west two hundred paces
To find where the Deadman
Waits for you at dusk

"Yeah... I think this is where I stop going on these journeys," I said. "I'm not planning on going anyplace where a dead person is waiting for me."

"Don't be such a chicken. It's just talking about Deadman's Grotto, from the map. There aren't actually dead people there. It's just the name," Maple insisted.

I looked at Penny. She just smiled again. I waited until she said something.

"Have fun you two!" she chimed as she left the room to put away the iron.

Aren't adults supposed to be the responsible ones who prevent children from going places at dusk?

"C'mon Nora... it'll be fun. And we've come this far. How can we stop now?" Maple pestered me.

I was curious about this treasure, I knew no one else would go with her, and I felt guilty if she had to go alone.

"Fine. Let's go back to the compound tomorrow." I slogged my way upstairs to my bedroom for what might be my final night of sleep..... I could hear Maple clapping in delight that I would still go with her.

The next day we are ready to head out once again. Maple has dressed herself in a black and white top from All Dolled Doll Clothes, jeans and a white tee from Liberty Jane, and a sock monkey hat from 123 Mulberry Street.

We journeyed back to the heart-shaped lock at the base of the Spanish Tower and took out our compass to know which direction West lay. Then we traversed the two hundred paces, once again with difficulty in keeping count. Why can't it ever be 20 paces instead of 200?

Our path ended at the base of a rocky hill near a group of large droopy trees. We crawled into the center of them, assuming this was Deadman's Grotto and it was where the hint was located. But there wasn't anything there.

"I guess we really do have to wait until dusk," Maple said.


"So you think some dead person will come bring us the hint at dusk?" I said with a horrified look on my face.

"No. But maybe it's just like the invisible ink. We can't see the hint until something reveals it...."


Sounded innocent enough. Too bad I was still scared. And it is difficult to take photos when your hands are trembling.... I swear something was watching us....


"Keep that camera steady!" Maple shouted. So understanding.

"I'm gonna hang out on the other side of these branches," I said, backing up to hide. 
There was definitely something rustling in the distance.

"Chicken," Maple snorted. She looked just as scared as me though.


We stood still for a long time. The sun moving slowly out of view. It was getting darker and darker.

"Do you hear that?!?" Maple called into the darkness around dusk. I took a photo, but saw nothing in it except Maple...


"I don't hear anything!" I responded.

"I can't believe you are making me stay in here by myself!" she shouted back.

"Fine, I'll come in and take some photos." 
It was getting a little too spooky to stand by myself.


The first shot came out pretty well. But when I went to take a second photo, something dark moved in front of the camera! Eeek!


I looked at the photo on the camera and practically peed myself. There really was a shadow there!!! Ahhhck! But the hint was there too!!!

"There it is!" I pointed.

"What was that though? That thing? Didn't you see that shadow?" Maple replied.

"Let's just get the hint and leave!"

"We have to take more photos though!" 

Oh poodles. She must be joking. She glared at me.

"Fine, get over there and pose before that thing comes back!"

Rushed glamour shots..... filled with trepidation...


"Do you hear that?" I asked.

"It's nothing. Keep taking photos," Maple whispered.


"If it's nothing, why are we whispering?"


"Sssshhhhhh."


"Are we done yet???"

"Almost.... make sure you have enough photos..."


"I have enough photos for sixteen blog posts!!!"


Then there was really movement in the branches around us.

"Don't you hear that noise Maple?!? Let's get out of here!!!!"

She froze.


So I grabbed her arm and dragged her out of the grotto, barely managing to snatch the hint as we ran out. And we kept running until we found Stone Rock Road where we stopped to catch our breath.

"Do you think that really was a dead man?!?!?" Maple gasped.

"Didn't you see that shadowy thing?!?!? I don't think it was a squirrel that magically 
appeared and gave us that hint!"

"Ahhhhh!!!!!!!".... is all Maple could manage to say as she started to 
run again towards home.

So much for that brave adventure. I don't think we'll be visiting Deadman's Grotto again anytime soon....

Stay tuned for Part Six of Maple's Pirate Treasure Hunt!!!


8 comments:

Sofia said...

I just have a question-- does Marie-Grace look like a brown haired Elizabeth to you? She certainly does to me!

By the way, I love your pictures and your outfits!

Nora and Maple said...

Thanks for your comment!

Yep, Marie-Grace does look like a light-brown haired Elizabeth to us. And we aren't sure we like the new face-mold for her. We probably won't order her. :(

Sofia said...

When I first saw her I thought they'd brought Elizabeth back. It wasn't until later that I realized her hair was brown, rather than blonde. Does it bug you when they do that, taking away one doll, and coming out with another almost exactly like them? I noticed this with Nellie (my first doll) and a JLY that came out this year with short strawberry blonde hair. They look really similar. Also with Samantha and several JLY, and with Cecile and a JLY.

Nora and Maple said...

Yep it bugs me. I appreciate their attempt to make a new face mold. But I am not really feeling this one.

And there are so many combinations of skin, hair, eyes, and face molds that they haven't tried yet -- there is little point to make two dolls that look so similar -- whether they are archived/retired or not.

Sofia said...

Yes, that's exactly what I think. Though I have to say, I'm glad they brought back a doll similar to Sonali. I love her face mold, and skin color, and her hair is gorgeous. But if you want to basically have the same doll, then why not just keep that doll in the first place, and come up with completely new ideas?

Alice said...

Wow Maple and Nora! You really outdid yourselves on this hunt. This is my favorite so far. I love your sense of humor Nora :D
I pray everyone is doing okay back with the Hurricane Irene. I'm so happy we can ease our worried heads and read this fun blog. Thanks again girls :)

Jerica said...

Cte! I love the sock monkey hat! Your dolls are so pretty! I have Chrissa and Lanie! Check out my blog about me, my dolls, and my animals if you have time!


~Jerica~ www.ilovefjords.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Enjoying the story a great deal. These dolls have such personality.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...