Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Opinions of Cecile and Marie-Grace Items, Part Three

So our first thought of the day is... What are these for?
I mean really? While they are awesome in an anachronistically superheroine I'm-gonna-kick-your-butt kind of way they don't really go with anything in the C and M-G collection.

For instance, this outfit looks better with black shoes or maybe some chestnut brown boots. Why didn't they make chestnut brown side-button boots?


Are you supposed to wear the gold boots with night attire to dress up that generic-looking nightgown?


Or are you supposed to wear them with "The Dress That Shall Not Be Named?"


Which already comes with frou-frou slippers.....

We aren't really complaining about the gold boots. They are awesome and on our wishlist for various fun costuming ideas. They just seem out of place, like an incomplete thought. And we think C and M-G, and many other 1800s/early-1900s dolls, could use a pair of chestnut brown side button boots.

So on the topic of the generic-looking nightgown.... we think Cecile's set is fine and dandy... for those people who like pink....

Oh how we long for that little jacket and those booties to be in any other color..... We even did a color chart to show AG what they could have made (and what we would have bought)... Seriously... we bought Rebecca's night robe just because it was blue.

Toss aside pink AG and look at how much better this teal jacket is!

Or any of these colors.... they are equally awesome... and would look great on Cecile...


Le sigh. We are defeated. Now it is up to you stalwart seamstresses of the world to make this beautiful night jacket in different colors....

Up next.... Overall Marie-Grace's nightgown is fine and we like the slippers that come with the set.


But it does kind of look like it was stained with tea, has been up in the attic too long,
 or is perhaps just a bit dirty.... bizarre...


This brings us to the underthings... the most useful thing AG has made for us in awhile and of course it has to include the color pink. But that's okay with us as they are hidden during use. ;-)

We also wanted to post Jennakitten's edited combo of the Cecile white shirt and Marie-Grace blue skirt... It looks quite pretty!


"The Dress That Shall Not Be Named" remains to be discussed in this post. 

Yes this one....


Which is supposed to go with this thing....


And fairy items that I am not even going to get into...

Why did they choose these awful colors? Why, oh why? Yes, we realize that there are those of you who probably like this dress. This is valid. But it is not for us. Our wishlist will be lacking these items.

Again, we offer up other color schemes for what would have been a beautiful dress (we really love the pattern). Here are light-colored versions, if one must go with pastels... we especially like the bottom right one...



And a silver version that keeps some of the original coloring... but still looks awesome enough for us to buy...


And of course, our preferred jewel tone colors.... 
how awesome would these dresses be?!?!?


Two-tone effect dresses... also totally awesome...


And just some final looks to ponder.... so many beautiful options...


So if there are seamstresses out there that don't mind dealing with shiny/slippery fabrics and can find them easily -- it might be fun to see what you can come up with that looks like "The Dress That Shall Not Be Named" but in different colors....

Stay tuned for our final thoughts on the C and M-G items.... 
Particularly the furniture pieces and the E-catalog....

12 comments:

Ardently Admire Doll Attire said...

I love your name for the dress. I have to say when I first saw the dress I liked it but did not want to admit it out loud- now you have shown me that what I like is the design not the actual AG dress- I see some pattern designing in my future!

Nora and Maple said...

Yes, we agree-- the design is quite lovely. If you do make a pattern -- be sure to sell it so that others can use it too! :D

robinhoo said...

Oh, holy cow, the top left dress in the "jewel-tone" box (the topaz one)? I would buy the heck out of that. The dark orange/peach two-tone one, too. Clearly I have a real thing for rusty-orange tones, because the bed jacket in orange makes my heart skip, too. AG definitely needs to use more orange!

Dawn said...

Why couldn't AG have gone with one of the color combos you chose for "the dress"? I especially like the one robinhoo calls topaz, just lovely. Any of them are better than the pink and blue AG chose.

Bee said...

I happen to LOVE, LOVE pink so I love some of this stuff. But the dress that I will call Voldemort just doesn't do it for me with that color combo. I would have liked it in a fuchsia and light pink maybe.

Lucy and Lily said...

I don't think AG put much time into researching the time period of these dolls. They would never have had gold boots. Girls of that time wore ankle boots that laced up the side.
The pink dress and coat need to go too! I do like the rust and green version you show.

Harper Evaligne Spektor said...

Oh my goodness! I agree with you 100% Nora. I personally think AG should stop repeating old historicals in terms of clothes and accessories. We've had enough of the two-tone (in this case, not two-tone, but the same style) boots. Also, the boots looks cheap. The dresses and coats need to go... Now. xP

Muzzy said...

Oh my goodness!!! The jewel tones- DROOL! I would love pretty much any of those!!!! Even the other pastels are amazing!!! Yeah AG, that was a really lame thought for those colors. I want a jewel toned one so badly. If anyone makes those please please puleeeeeaaaaaaaassseeeeee post a link on your blog Nora? I will save a good $50 away just for that :P

TYRaines said...

I totally agree with you, and so does my daughter who is the big collector in our family. Love love love the jewel toned dress choices. The original dress is hideous... We'll be going to AG sometime soon and I can't wait to see the garments in person.

MommyOntheEdge said...

I agree the original is horrid, it looks like someone barfed saltwater taffy in a dress shape. I love some of the other colors you did, too bad it's not that easy to just order the color you want. I do like the pattern, I just hate the colors. Separately, I love pink and that color of green, just NOT together.

Anonymous said...

I really like the jewel colors of the dresses too. AG is missing a sale because of the horrid pastel blue & pink. I am sick of seeing pink on everything AG, and I love the color pink! I have already bought the desk and parrot though. Can't wait to get them!

Anonymous said...

The jewel tone Emerald colored one is absolutly wonderful! I would buy it in a minute without worrying about the price! Someone NEEDS to make one of those! NOW!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...