Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Guest Post from The Spicys: How to Build Your Own Light Box

Have you heard of "The Spicys" doll blog???

They are some very nice peeps with a lot of fun, useful ideas!
Today they share a Guest Post with y'alls!

_________________________

How to Build Your Own Light Box

A light box might sound like a super fancy photography term but it's actually one of the simplest things EVER! I started making my own light boxes last year after being disgusted with the SUPER dark shadows in my photos. The fix? A light box! 

Light boxes help bounce light so the shadows are not as dark - and they also provide for crisp and simple backgrounds.



As you can see, my light boxes are not really fancy - or really even boxes at all! I have tried making these several different ways, but so far, this is my favorite! To create mine, I just used three pieces of poster board from the dollar store....$3 is a VERY affordable way to up the quality of your photos!


The Four Key elements are these: a good light source (windows or glass doors are best!), a background panel, a side panel/reflector and a floor panel. These are all essential to making your light box work! The floor panel is helpful for if you are taking shots that will show the surface the doll is standing on - it makes them so much nicer and neater!


I usually like to have my window on either the left or the right side (see above picture) of my subject so they have adequate light on one side. Then by using the side reflector panel, I can usually bounce enough light to reflect onto the other side of the doll's face to prevent a shadow.

This next set of photos was taken with the exact same setup as you see in the above photo. Take a look at the right side of Mackenzie's face.... 



The first photo is WITHOUT the side reflector panel, and the second is with it. Can you see what a difference it makes? The shadow is almost completely gone and her whole face is bright!

Remember to not be intimidated by fancy set-up or photography terms - this usually takes me about ONE minute to set up and my photos are instantly improved - the difference is worth the (minimal) effort! 
Have fun experimenting!

Thanks for visiting us today!

And thanks for the Guest Post, Spicys!

Do you have something to share with our DW readers? Do you want to do a Guest Post? Feel free to email us at nora.demington@gmail.com so we can chat about it!


1 comment:

Human Hair full lace Wigs said...

Thank you for sharing this post!! Its a wonderful idea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...