Monday, March 11, 2013

Where Do You Get Your Fabrics?

This was a question we asked Cinnamon of Liberty Jane Clothing awhile back and here is her answer, which we finally get around to posting!

We is slow.


Cinnamon's answer: "...I'm sort of an expert of chopping up real clothes to find the perfect fabrics! New clothes of course, I just keep my eye out for great deals, clearance racks, stores like Forever21, etc... This is how I found the white "leather" for the latest jacket, it was a moto jacket at Forever21, it was the perfect fabric so I bought it and chopped it up! 

The browns used in the Moto jacket and the recent bomber jacket are purchased from Jo Anns, I think they're called micro suede and come in several colors, I also have a grey and a reddish color... It's pretty thin so it's easy to sew with and looks great on the doll because it's not stiff. http://www.joann.com/search/_microsuede%20fabric-weathered%20tan/


I actually get into all of my fabric choices and secrets in the 'Design Academy Book' and even more in depth in the class that will be run again in February 2013.*** Maybe you could point people to those? (Just an FYI, if the book is bought now -$29, you can just pay the difference in cost when the class is offered in Feb. $50 instead of $79)"




{***From us: The 2013 Spring Design Academy has not started yet because they have been writing a couple more how-to books over at LJC. 
So be sure to sign up for the Liberty Jane newsletter through their blog to know when enrollment begins. They take a limited number of peeps each time.}

Cinnamon's answer continued: "I love to pick up rayon blend knits at stores like Marshalls, or Delias when they go on clearence. This type of knit is so much better than the stuff you can purchase at the fabric store. It's trendy, thinner, and great colors... and easy to pick up a pile of XL's to make tons of tee's and tanks. I use this for lots of the BIN items at http://www.shoplibertyjane.com/




When making OOAK outfits it gives more freedom to find great fabrics "Off The Rack" because there isn't the concern of reproducing the pieces. That is what I love! I see the perfect fabric and make something super cute, it's not about mass production. 

I do have a favorite place to pick up unique fabrics, it's Britex Fabrics in San Francisco... I go to visit CA twice a year usually and make it a point to go there every time! 
Love that place, it's crazy cool!


When we have patterns that really call for specific types of fabric, or zippers etc. we try to include that info in the pattern supply list. Either the fabric name/type or the website to buy."



Thanks for visiting us today!

Hope this helped someone!

3 comments:

imrachelnicole said...

This is very helpful. Thanks!

I have a question.
My etsy shop is in your links to handmade clothing, and since I have changed the name of my shop. The old shop name was Rachy's Doll Closet.
It's new name is Emily Heather Designs, and the link is https://www.etsy.com/shop/EmilyHeatherDesigns.

Do you think you could change it? That would be really nice, but if it's a big bother, you don't have to.

Thanks!

-RN

Nora and Maple said...

We updated it, we think. :-)

imrachelnicole said...

Thank you so much!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...