Wednesday, July 3, 2013

So Long, Molly and Emily:
Archival Confessions

Well, everyone and their mother has been talking about this for awhile. So we are kinda late to the funeral here. But we were pondering deep thoughts about all of this archival stuff.


Is your Molly and Emily collection complete?

No?

Well now is the time to run in circles in panic and buy EVERYTHING.

Just kidding. Don't pee yourself.


When Samantha was archived, we were like -- "What the heck?"
But we already had everything we wanted from her collection, so we didn't panic.
We had just bought her winter coat set, velvet dress, and dog Jip.
We were satisfied.


When Felicity and Elizabeth were archived we panicked and bought a ton of stuff we had been waiting to buy. Including Felicity and Elizabeth. 
We even bought stuff we weren't sure we wanted. 
And of course, we bought stuff we didn't even have room for. 
Sound familiar? 
You probably need to join us for Archival Group Therapy then.

But we were happy with all the stuff we got in the end, so that was that.
We especially squee-ed over the tiny Noah's Ark set and the muff, mitts and pattens set.


Then came Kirsten's archival.
Girl didn't even have much left, never mind a best friend doll to accompany her into the blackness.
But we still panicked. We bought like 6 Kirstens. Not even joking.
We still have most of them boxed up.
Only two have been played with.
And only one has her braids undone.

Kirsten's fishing set and lunch were two of our most prized possessions growing up.
Don't ask me why we loved the squishy fish so much.
And Kirsten-style outfits were one of the things our Mommy made for us on a regular basis.

So for Samantha, we were in the "This stinks" Camp.
For Felicity, the "Noooooo!!!! Not yet!!!" Camp.
And for Kirsten, the "There Goes my Childhood" Camp.

And the worse part is that there are still ye old, long-retired items from all three of these collections that we'd love to have. But we have given up on those things for now. 
What's the point?

We have now become quite numb to archivals.
Molly was our first doll ever.
We were obsessed with her.
We should be freaking out.
But we aren't.
Like many people, we saw this coming and bought the things we wanted.

We just received Molly's swimsuit and her birthday dress -- the last two things on our wishlist.
They arrived in a new size square box, fyi.
Yank and Bennett came here a couple weeks before that.

We figured the new Molly bed and pjs were an attempt to increase interest in her collection, with the goal of thinning out stock, leading up to the archival.


We got the pjs. They are fly.
The bed we passed on -- do we really need another bed???

But overall, what is this last-ditch attempt to make people notice Molly???
Couldn't you have paid attention to her before you were about to axe her AG?

Perhaps we are just depressed about the whole thing?
Probably.
So many of Molly's coolest items have already come and gone a long time ago.
It's not even worth crying over.

Archival is a bitter pill to swallow.
On the one hand -- we get new dolls -- Rebecca, Marie-Grace and Cecile, and Caroline.
But we only squee-ed about the stuff in Caroline's collection.
The other two we have mostly ignored, in comparison to our normal "We must buy everything" mode of operation.


We own eight things from Rebecca's collection.


And eleven from Marie-Grace and Cecile's collection.


What's the point to these rambling confessions???

While we have bought things from the above two collections, we have no motivation to buy more and they are not releasing new stuff for them.
We lose dolls through archivals, and the new dolls only get fresh stuff for two years.
Then they are ignored in the interest of new dolls and collections.
Their story, that slice of history, and the seemingly endless possibilities of their collection are passed over.

Most of the outfits, accessories and furniture mentioned in their books is never made by AG.

This seems to be AG's new system.
Steady new doll releases, small historical collections.
I guess it works for them.
But part of the fun of Pleasant Company was the new seasonal releases 
for all of the historical dolls.
We liked the way they all got new outfits and accessories on a steady basis.
True, they didn't have to do 60 annual MyAG releases back then, because MyAG didn't exist.
But we just wish they would pay a little more attention to the historicals.
One or two girls getting one or two things each year stinks.

I feel like AG should at least do five years of new item releases for each new historical doll.
And forget that Limited Edition -- only here for a short time -- BS.
At least pretend that you give a crap about each historical doll you release.
Then maybe your fans wouldn't feel so dead inside every time you do an archival.


16 comments:

Char (DollDiaries) said...

Sniff, sniff, that brought a tear to my eye and at the same time I felt compelled to give you a virtual high five! I need to add Josefina, Addy and Kaya to our collection and then I think I will be done with the historicals. I do love some of Caroline's collection, but have never gotten much in to Rebecca's or Cecile and Marie Grace's collections.

Nora and Maple said...

Virtual High Five!!!

Yeah, I think many people have ignored Rebecca's, and Marie-Grace and Cecile's collections.

The thing I was the most excited about among all of their items was the parrot. Yes, the parrot. I mean, shouldn't I be peeing myself in excitement over more than just a parrot???

We have all the historical dolls now. We should feel complete and happy. But mostly, we just feel sad that we had to hoard them away before AG archived them.

Victoria said...

I completely agree! I loved Samantha, Felicity, and Kirsten! They had so many cool things that i never got because I only just go Samantha for Christmas the year she retired! Then they bring out new dolls (notice Rebecca is only 10 years later than Sam and she also has the whole women's rights things... sounds familiar...) and the new dolls just aren't as good as dolls used to be :(

Nora and Maple said...

Yeah, we wish they made more things from the books for each doll -- that way their collections would feel more complete and genuine.

How difficult is that to do?

Make more stuff.
Sell more stuff.
Make more money.

Is that a difficult concept???

Christina L said...

6 Kirsten dolls! With how much you guys buy, you must be rich! I too am disappointed with what AG has become...

Phoebe said...

This is by far the very best reaction to a retirement I have ever read. I totally did the same thing with Felicity and it killed me inside when they retired Samantha but I just can't care anymore.
Dang it, AG. Get your stuff together and focus on what made you what you are.

N said...

I agree! AG needs to start paying more attention to the historical line.

Anonymous said...

I'm so angry at American Girl even though I'm going to the American Girl place this Saturday. I guess you could say that we're in the SERIOUSLY AMERICAN GIRL?! WHY EMILY AND MOLLY? WHY THEM? camp. :'-(((

From,
Andrea
Lily
Kanani
Molly (I feel like an old girl!)

Jessie said...

I second this entry. Samantha was the one I had, back in the Pleasant Company days. The original 3 characters felt so permanent and solid. When they archived Samantha, I totally had the "there goes a piece of my childhood" feeling. And then when they brought out Rebecca.... WHY did we need a new early 1900's doll? Why couldn't we have just had a sofa and a phonograph added to Samantha's collection? It is numbing---- all of the characters they do now feel so impermanent, or like Rebecca, just lesser retreads of the originals, that there's no point getting attached. And it's hilarious that they call the collections the character's "whole world", because they're so sparse and not-fleshed out that they may constitute a playset or two, but definitely not a whole historical world. Frankly, the New AG Way sucks.

Kate said...

But if they did NOT archive dolls there would be no new ones! Like, I would not have bean abele to get Caroline. And if they didn't archive the dolls but still got new ones there would be to many doll to make new stuff for. I know it's sad when the are archived but if you have all the stuff you want does it really matter if they are still on the site? For Felicity AG made ALL her outfits from the books and many accessories. But I do agree, AG should make more stuff for Rebecca.

Kate,

Elizabeth
Felicity
Caroline

Happysuz said...

Great post! I am a recent AG addict, but my niece had Samantha. I did go buy a few Molly things this week. She was the last doll I bought because I figured she would be the next to go. I was right. I think AG doesn't spend as many resources on the historically because the GOY and MYAG are wildly popular. My guess is that at some point they will open the vault and bring some characters back for a limited time. Like Disney does with their movies. It's marketing genius. So who will be the next to go and what era will the next historical be from? I wonder.

Jen said...

I think my biggest issue with the new historical system is how lopsided it can be. I remember looking at late-PC catalogs (around the time Josefina was introduced), and every doll had six books, an outfit for each book, specific accessories - a school desk and supplies, a table and chairs,a pet, bedtime accessories, etc. That balance a) made all the dolls equally important - they all had the same stuff, just in different styles, and b) helped reinforce Pleasant Company's idea that, though all these girls were different, there were parts of their lives that were very similar.

Nowadays, though, you get a catalog where some historical dolls get a 4-page spread and others are lucky to get 1 page. That sends a message, you know?

(lol, re-reading this, I realize I sound like an old anti-Mattel crank. I do like a lot of what Mattel has done - the MyAG line is far better - but they're dropping the ball on the historicals.)

Smith Girls said...

I don't like the way they keep introducing new dolls. I like Rebecca and some of Caroline's dresses, but they're not as original. The books aren't as good either. Samantha and Felicity were my favorites (my sister wanted Samantha, but was still saving up her pennies when she was retired. She ended up getting Felicity). Now, all of the original dolls have been retired. While I did not discover American Girl during the Pleasant Company years, I wish they were still focusing on the history, not just introducing new dolls.

Rhonda Stewart said...

YES! Agree 100%. Good bye Pleasant Company (now) forever. Enter the Mattel giants. Still I cry over Molly and Emily. She along with the others will be missed.

Molly said...

I completely agree. Molly was my first and only AG doll and I love her to this day, but all her cool stuff has been gone for years now.

Anonymous said...

I just got molly for Christmas 2014 but I am sad because she did not come with anything not even her cute little glasses.I looked on eBay and the cheapest that someone was selling her clothes for was 50 bucks I was all like REALLY

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...