Thursday, July 4, 2013

Two New MyAGs:
The Classic Mold Conspiracy

Happy Fourth of July Americanos.
Be sure to keep your pets indoors during this joyous day, filled with beautiful fireworks that scare the poop out of animals across the nation.
___________

Today we discuss another thing everyone has been talking about.
And we have been mum about for awhile on here.

The two new MyAG dolls.

#59


aka Beatrice with slightly darker hair


Even the same eyebrows and eye color.

and #60


aka Adanya with light skin and shorter hair


Even the same eyebrows and eye color.

We like #60.
#59 is useful for people with that coloring.

But we aren't scrambling to buy either one.
Shouldn't AG be releasing dolls that I am scrambling to buy?

Yes #58, from the previous release is super cute and tempting.


But black and multi-racial people do sometimes have non-brown-colored eyes AG.

Also where is the not!Kanani -- a dark or medium skin Jess mold doll?
Or both?


Where is the medium skin Sonali mold doll that is only available right now from the Doll Hospital as a doll without hair?


And why can't we have a light skin Sonali mold doll?

We got two more light skin dolls.
Whoopie.
And they both have the classic mold.
Dude.

What about a Jess mold doll with something other than brown eyes?


What about a Marie-Grace mold doll without pincurls?


And maybe even non-blue eyes? Gasp.
Or even medium skin? Double gasp.

AG, you have 6 other face molds and most of your MyAG line already has
the classic mold face.
Your current GOTY is even white with a classic mold face.
(Kudos for the fresh hair color and new eye color though.)

One might argue that white people are the ones buying the dolls - hence why most doll lines feature 80% white dolls with the same face mold.

Are white people really the only ones who buy dolls???
No.

And are white people only going to buy white dolls???
No again.

We own 11 out of the 15 currently offered dark and medium skin dolls
and we land squarely into the white demographic.
We're so white we are one step away from being albino.
Our skin color has never stopped us from loving dark and medium skin dolls;
in fact, they are some of our favorites.

The need to celebrate humanity's diversity of features, eye colors, and skin colors should be obvious to a company that focuses on self-worth and freedom of expression.

Get it together AG.

We want creativity from you.
Creativity.

Think about all those people buying pre-loved dolls off of Ebay 
to make into custom dolls.
Think about all that money.
Then think about all the money they spend on other-brand wigs.

Maybe you should beat them to the punch, AG.

Start making MyAG dolls that people will sell their first-born in order to buy.


15 comments:

N said...

I reeeeallly hope that AG finds this post and actually listens.

Jessie said...

All of those classic mold MyAGs are a blur to me at this point. They all look so samey. What I want to know is: instead of releasing endless variations of the classic mold AG doll, why don't they do a custom system where you can order a doll with your choice of any of the face molds, skin tone, hair color/texture/length, eye color, and eyebrow style? If they can't be bothered to be creative, that would be an awesome way to let the customers be creative for them and have truly personal dolls.

And as for the point that white people are a) NOT the only people who collect dolls, and b) NOT only drawn to white dolls--- YES. THIS IS SO TRUE IT COULD NOT BE TRUER. We are also squarely in the white demographic. And some of our absolute favorite dolls are our Hearts for Hearts dolls, because they do such a good job of portraying other ethnicities---- they don't just look like white dolls done in dark vinyl. And they are absolutely beautiful. We also know plenty of fellow doll-lovers who are NOT in the white demographic. And I'm pretty sure we're ALL bored with the same doll over and over again.

Kate said...

When will you post the entries for the 2013 FDC?

springBlooms said...

I was just wondering what colour is the hair in the doll right after 59? Is it red or caramel? I am trying to decide what MyAG doll to buy and cant seem to decide on hair colour...and gosh sooo many blue eyed dolls. I am trying to stay away from those as I have three already.

Nora and Maple said...

We'll start posting the 2013 FDC entries that we have received so far this weekend. The deadline for the first outfit tasks is July 14th -- so more will probably come in, we hope. :-)

The doll pictured after #59 has red hair like Mia. Not like Felicity and Saige red hair. But the sort of strawberry-blonde reddish hair that AG likes to call red. It is not the caramel hair color.

All AG said...

I agree 100%. I've had the trouble with a doll with medium skin for a custom doll for a book. The girl was adopted from India, and guess what? Only 1 doll barely fits the description the book gives. And yes I am sooo tired of blue eyes! Three out of four of my dolls have blue eyes. Cecile has hazel. I am white and I loved Cecile because she had the caramel skin tone. I'm sorry to bring it to you AG but not everyone has blue eyes and light skin. Just do something different for once. ):

Emma said...

Hi Nora!
I was wondering if you received my entry for the FCD contest i sent to you last week :)

piglet said...

I could not agree more with this post or the one before it. The points I ESPECIALLY hope AG realizes are 1) what made them successful in the past was their insane attention to detail and thorough commitment to the historical accuracy, functionality, and durability of their products. Meaning, cranking out two new historical products a year is not really the same; and what happened to all those wonderful accessories?!. And 2) dolly risks are good. We like new looks. A lot of new looks. And often.
Also, Nora and Maple, you are the wittiest :P. Your opinions expressed by others wouldn't be nearly as good.

Maya said...

I have to admit that I really enjoy reading these opinion posts. Maybe some more on the way?

I couldn't agree with you more. Although they are pretty, the new MAGs are just regurgitations of older MAGs. I really wish that 59 had had long and wavier hair, and that 60 had had grey eyes. I'll just customize a 25 to have greys instead.

I'm just hoping that the next GOTY isn't as bland as this. I want a not!Kanani with medium skin, decal brown eyes, and long black hair who is adopted from Asia.

Anonymous said...

I just want to know, how hard is it to have a light skinned doll with brown eyes AND brow curly hair? they don't even make one with wavy hair and brown eyes and light skin. if they did that i wouldn't even care what face mold it is.

Amara said...

every doll has a Unique face mold. some shouldn't have the same face mold. the most used face mold is the small lips original face mold. second most used face mold is Sonali mold. then the Addy mold. and then the Marie-Grace mold. some dolls look similar because AG might have ran out of ideas.

Amara said...

not trying to be rude but every doll has a Unique feature. the most used face mold is the small lips original face mold. then the Sonali mold. then the Addy mold. and the Almond shaped eyes small lips face mold. then last the Marie-grace face mold. I hope the girl of the year after Saige has: Sapphire blue eyes light skin black tight curls down to the knees.

Unknown said...

I try to purchase my dolls second hand as I enjoy repairing them and making them a bit unique in the process. I have only found white dolls at goodwill. I have a clothing shop and I am hoping to get one more brand new doll, since the only doll I got new was Saige. I would love Kaya for my doll of a different skin tone. I like that her mouth is closed. I think it makes her unique. I saw a photoshopped photo of her mold in other skin tone eye color and hair color combos and it was really neat, another mold that could easily be changed up.

Xyra Silverleaf said...

This is a great post. The whole reason I have an AG doll is because growing up as a blonde with brown eyes I couldn't find a doll that matched me. When I got Samantha for my cousin I saw exactly what I wanted in the catalog! Blonde hair with bangs and brown eyes - I told my boyfriend (now husband) that is what he could get me for Christmas. I love here dearly. She needs restringing, but I am loathe to send her to the AG doll hospital because she is stamped "Pleasant Company" and I'm afraid they would just send a new doll.
On of the above comments pointed out the previous attention to detail on behalf of AG, however, I think that the previous attention to detail came from Pleasant AG and early Mattel AG...I wonder what the employee research and development turnover has been in the past 10 years?

Anonymous said...

Oh my god ikr. I'm black and by mom wants me to be proud of who I am and she doesn't wNt me to try to be someone else. So, she wants me to buy dolls that only look like me. I'm already proud but she wont listen. And i really like g #55 but she has light skin and I cant get her. If only ag made a version or every doll with different colors of skin. Then everyone would be happy. Including me, 😿

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...