Saturday, September 26, 2009

Goodbyes for Kirsten :(

So most of us who follow Avery's blog or read the fan message boards already know that Kirsten Larson will be joining Samantha Parkington in the American Girl archives. We must have been psychic when we chose to show off LinneaAnne's homemade Kirsten items this Wednesday.

This is some more sad news from AG. But perhaps they plan on introducing another new doll from a similar time period. Who knows? AG works in mysterious ways.

What we do know is that here at The Doll Wardrobe we wanted to acknowledge her departure. We were more than a little shocked to hear about Sam's archival and didn't do much of anything on the blog to remark on it since we were mostly just sitting here stupefied and dumb-struck during the process.

But now we are a little more prepared for this second archival, though it is rather soon after the first one last year. So we are going to rip-off AG's Sam archival website tactic and ask you to share your thoughts on Kirsten. ;)

Please join us in saying "Goodbye Kirsten" with your comments. Tell us about your own experiences with Kirsten. What are your favorite memories of Kirsten? And if you have the doll, why did you get her? And when? Any positive and warm thoughts for Kirsten, the character and/or the doll, are welcome and greatly appreciated.

It's time to get a little nostalgic everyone. :)

10 comments:

Mrs.C. said...

Kirsten was the first American Girl doll I purchased. She was for my granddaughter (who was only 11 months old). She reminds me of Laura Ingalls and all the wonderful "Little House" stories.
She has been a favorite of both the granddaughters and me. We have her complete collection but will miss her at the AG stores and catalogs.

Good bye, Kirsten.

^j^ Mrs.C.

Unknown said...

Yes, this is terrible news. I don't have Kirsten, and I got Samantha just in time. I don't think that'll be the case this time, but this is honestly just so sad! How could American Girl retire their two famous dolls! Two of the three dolls to ever come out!?! Kirsten will always be a remembered doll in my house!

marina said...

I love that Kirsten immigrates with her family. The other dolls have ancestors that came from other countries but Kirsten's the only one who actually immigrated. Good bye Kirsten, we'll miss you!

Sierra said...

Kirsten was my second AG Doll. One of her braids had fallen out of its loops so I put them both into braids. I am SO upset and surprised and to those that wanted to get her soon I am very sorry!:(

Anonymous said...

Last summer, I was beginning to 'drift' a little out of AG. I thought I was getting too grown up to 'play dolls'. But I read Meet Kirsten, and realised that you are never too old for dollies! AG--please don't retire Kirsten. She is perhaps not the most popular doll, but she is downright awesome!
~Libby

Anonymous said...

Kirstin was my second AG doll. I thought she was very attractive and love her story and clothes. She is also the favorite of my nine year old grandaughter. She reminds her of the Little House Book which she is reading.

Avery Voisin said...

Kirsten is my favorite AG, but I never got her for some reason. I remember when I was a kid in the '90's I'd read Kirsten's books over and over again, I wanted her so badly! But, I never did get her. Kirsten is my favorite character, I just relate to her in some way.

I'm so sad that she's being archived, since she is one of AG's main dolls. AG just isn't the same without Kirsten and Sam!

Sarah said...

When I was seven years old my younger sister received her first American Girl Doll, Molly. I was instantly jealous and couldn't wait to get a doll of my own. I begged my whole family for Kirsten every waking second for a year. Finally they gave in and my grandmother gave me Kirsten for my birthday the following year. Kirsten has now been my best friend for six years. I have no idea what my life would be like without her. I just feel sorry that so many little girls won't be able to have the wonderful experiences that I shared with her.

Sophie Amélie said...

Well, I didn't get Kirsten until I was 16 almost 17, but I've always held a soft spot for 'Yellow Hair.' I was named after Laura Ingalls Wilder, so I've always loved reading (and acting out) frontier stories-and Kirsten's are just too sweet! Her book illustrations are my all time favorites of any historical girl (same illustrator of the Little House picture books!).

I never thought I'd have a Kirsten of my own until I fell for white-bodied Kirsten. I met up with an online friend, "met" her childhood white-bodied Kirsten, and knew that I had to have my own. I stalked eBay November/December 2005 and lost a couple of auctions before I found 'the one.' Luckily, I won her, and she's here to stay. :)

-Laura

Kelly said...

I love Kirsten!! :) Her books were a delight to read and she is still (After 7 years) one of the most beautiful dolls I have :)

Bye Kirsten....

We will never forget you or Sam
Say "hi" to her and nellie for me

~Kelly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...