Saturday, December 12, 2015

Dec. 12, 2015: Question of the Day!

Today's Question of the Day is...

How did you get involved in the 18 inch doll universe?

Our answer: Well, we received Molly for a Christmas present back in the 1980's, at the dawn of time when dinosaurs still roamed the Earth, after we begged for her FOREVER from our parents.

(They probably still have PTSD about me asking for that doll.)

Around the same time, I also spent several months acting like a dog
in order to get them to buy us a dog.

(No, you didn't read that incorrectly.)

They eventually gave in to our demands for both, and provided us with a doll and a dog.

And so it began, dun dun dunnnnnnnn...haha.

The Glam Doll's Answer

"A friend suggested that I make doll clothing for upcoming craft shows. I created one dress and it sold within a day or so and I was hooked!"

Cupcake Cutie Pie's Answer


"My mother made all my doll clothes growing up. When my daughter started collecting her own dolls I discovered the quality of store bought doll clothing was greatly declining. Sewing for her dolls really came from the desire to have heirloom quality doll clothes for my daughter like I had growing up. Unfortunately my childhood doll clothes didn't fit her American Girls so I had to start making her some."

Closet 4 Chloe's Answer


"I didn’t have an AG doll when I was growing up. Although they were around, I don’t even remember hearing about them. I guess I first heard about them when my first daughter wanted one."

123 Mulberry Street's Answer


"I got involved in the 18" Doll world thru my sewing students. I teach children sewing classes and the girls wanted to make clothes for their dolls. That inspired me to dig out my daughters old American Girl Doll and I was hooked."

Dollhouse Designs' Answer


"I used to sew for my daughter’s dolls, and after she was grown I MISSED those dolls and making things for them!! On a whim in the early 2000s, I looked up American Girl online and was amazed at how much new stuff was out there. I saw some dolls available for resale on eBay. I read restoration tutorials and bought a couple to restore, intending to resell them. Then came the day I received a Josefina that I just could not part with. It was all downhill from there!!"

Noodle Clothing's Answer


"Like most things, in a round about way. I was at an antique market about 3 summers back and found a Growing Hair Crissy doll, which prompted me to come home and have a look in the basement for my own. My mom made me such nice clothes for her back in the early ‘70s. While doing some research on line, I found Liberty Jane and was so intrigued by doll clothes that looked like people clothes, I reworked some of the patterns to give my old doll a new wardrobe. It planted the seed of sewing doll clothes for sale, but I realized that if I was going to, it would have to be for AG dolls."

Whoa It's Me's Answer


"When I first began sewing on Etsy, I didn't focus on doll fashions. I quickly had the feeling that the type of sewing I was doing was ultimately going to feel like a bit of a chore. Sewing on Etsy is strictly a hobby for me, and I don't need any more chores! So, I decided to focus on the type of sewing that I have loved the most throughout my life, which is doll fashions. It wasn't difficult to settle on sewing for 18 inch dolls specifically."

Dollicious Clothes' Answer


"When my daughter got her first AG doll I started making clothes for her doll and loved it."

QTpie Doll Clothing's Answer

"My youngest daughter received a Madame Alexander doll from her grandmother, there were almost no clothes available in Canada, so I started sewing them. Then I took the Liberty Jane Design Class and bought myself a Maplelea and American girl doll and I was hooked."

Made by MoMo Couture's Answer

https://www.etsy.com/shop/MadebyMoMoCouture

"As a kid I was always fascinated with miniature things and my great aunt had a shadow box with tiny things in it, like coke bottles and tiny flour sacks, etc. I was always most interested in that when we visited her. So when I came across an American Girl catalogue one day you can imagine my excitement. A friend insisted there was a market for their clothing and that I should try it. The rest is history!"

Mia Kate Apparel's Answer


"I loved reading the books and magazines, and pouring over the catalogs when I was younger. I always dreamed of owning a doll, and received my first doll (a JLY) for my 11th or 12th birthday. I then got Kaya for a Christmas present a few years later. My recent entry back into the 'universe' came from reading the blog 'Never Grow Up: A Mom's Guide to Dolls and More.' I loved her doll set-ups and photography, and that inspired me to get my own dolls out of storage and start enjoying them again! I also joined some AG groups on Facebook, and eventually was able to purchase Mia, my dream doll."

Clarisse's Closet's Answer


"I began sewing when I was 7 or 8, making clothes for my American Girl dolls. Eventually I grew into making full-sized clothing, but when I pulled my dolls out of my closet about 5 years ago I decided to make a new dress for them just for fun… and they never went back in the closet."

Pippaloo's Answer


"My girls and I started collecting together. 
Now my girls have almost aged out of the dolls...but I haven't."

Party With Felt's Answer


"Always loved dolls - and when I first saw the doll in 1986 I fell in love with it - high quality and the promoting of education as well a play was a nice mix."

_______________

Thank you for reading these Etsy sellers' answers!!!

And please check out their shops for your holiday shopping. Hint. Hint. ;-)

Stay tuned for another "Question of the Day" post right around the corner!

p.s. If you own an Etsy shop, or a doll-related handmade item website, please feel free to email us at nora.demington@gmail.com to participate in the next round of "Question of the Day," which will probably begin in Jan. 2016. 

Thank you!!!

3 comments:

mia.kate.andco said...

Hmmm...I think my answer (MiaKateApparel) is the answer to a previous question...not this one! =(

Nora and Maple said...

Oooo!!!! Thanks for catching that!!! It published an earlier draft of the post!! D'oh!!!

Xyra Silverleaf said...

I love the answers to this question. :) Thank you for sharing your inspiration.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...